- Investigational for metastatic Ewing Sarcoma
THIS MEDICATION IS TO BE ADMINISTERED BY A CHEMO-TRAINED NURSE. IF THE NURSE IS NOT CHEMO-TRAINED, THEY ARE TO CONTACT THE UNIT NURSE EDUCATOR OR ADVANCED PRACTICE NURSE.
- Supplied as a 70 mg/mL clear and colourless liquid (210 mg/3mL).
- The product contains no preservative and vials should be used only once.
- Refrigerate vials (2-8C). Protect from light.
- Gently invert bag to mix. Do NOT shake vial or solution.
- Infusion must be completed within 8 hours from the time that the ganitumab is injected into the infusion bag.
- Maximum time between removing ganitumab vials from the fridge and completion of infusion is 24 hours
- Solution Compatible: 0.9% NaCl only
- Incompatible: Do not mix with other drugs or IV solutions
(For approved routes of administration by nursing personnel, refer to Policy for the Administration of Intravenous Medications.)
|IV Intermittent Infusion||YES - Flush line with 0.9% NaCl before and after administration
Usual dilution: Dilute to a final concentration of 3 - 20 mg/mL
Infusion time: Give first dose over 60 minutes; if well tolerated, subsequent doses may be given over 30 minutes. Maximum infusion time 120 minutes.
For doses greater than 2100 mg: give first dose over 120 minutes; if well tolerated, subsequent doses may be given over 60 minutes
|IV Continuous Infusion||NO|
(For neonatal dosages, refer to Neonatal IV Drug Manual.)
- 18 mg/kg/dose every 2 - 3 weeks (day 1 of each cycle)
- Common (> 20%): Infusion reaction (may include chills, fever, hypotension, dyspnea, arthralgia, joint swelling, headache, dizziness, cardiac arrhythmia); Hyperglycemia
- Occasional (≤ 20%): Anemia, Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, increased ALT/AST, anorexia, rash
- Rare (< 3%): Severe allergic reaction, hearing loss
For any infusion toxicities,
refer to protocol for detailed information on management
- Anaphylactic precautions at bedside
- Vitals signs, including BP: immediately prior to infusion, q15 minutes during first hour, q 30 minutes during second hour and hourly during third hour and until completion of the infusion. Also monitor 30 and 60 minutes post infusion.
Ref: Children’s Oncology group protocol AEWS1221
Created by: J. Hilliard RPh May 2015, checked by D. Kennedy RPh December 2015