||Neonatal Drug Therapy Manual
Disclaimer: Official controlled document is the CHEO and Ottawa Hospital online copy. It is the responsibility of user to ensure that any paper copy version is the same as the online version before use.
- Prevention and treatment of urinary tract infections caused by susceptible gram-negative and some gram-positive organisms
- PO: administer with feeds
- 5 - 7 mg/kg/day divided Q6H
- 1 - 2 mg/kg/day as a single daily dose
* Avoid use in renal impairment
- Dermatologic: rash, exfoliative dermatitis, urticaria, pruritis
- GI: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- Genitourinary: discolouration of urine (dark yellow or brown)
- Hematologic: haemolytic anemia, leucopenia, thrombocytopenia
- Hepatic: cholestatic jaundice, hepatitis, elevated liver function tests
- Neuromuscular: peripheral neurophathy
Parameters to Monitor:
- Periodic liver and renal function tests
Reconstitution and Stability:
Should only be given in patients with PCA > 38 weeks and a post-natal age > 1 month due to the possibility of hemolytic anemia
1. Taketomo CK, Hodding JH, Kraus DM. Pediatric Dosage Handbook. 16th Edition. Hudson: Lexi-Comp Inc.; 2009
The information contained on this website is provided for informational purposes only, as a guide to assist physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers in deciding on the appropriate care required for a particular patient. At all times, physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers must exercise their independent clinical judgment, based on their knowledge, training and experience, taking into account the specific facts and circumstances of each patient, when deciding on the appropriate course of investigation and/or treatment to recommend in a particular clinical situation.
CHEO has made every effort to ensure that the information contained on this website is as current and accurate as possible. However, changes can occur due to ongoing research and the constant influx of new information. Where possible, hospitals and healthcare practitioners should verify the information before acting on it.
Reliance on any information in this website is at the user's own risk. CHEO is not responsible or liable for any harm, loss or other consequences from the use or misuse of the information on this website.