||Neonatal Drug Therapy Manual
Disclaimer: Official controlled document is the CHEO and Ottawa Hospital online copy. It is the responsibility of user to ensure that any paper copy version is the same as the online version before use.
- For endotracheal intubation
- IV Direct
- IM only if no intravenous access
- IV: 1 - 2 mg/kg (0.05 - 0.1 mL/kg) then 0.3 - 0.6 mg/kg/dose Q5-10min PRN
- IM: 4 mg/kg/dose (0.2 mL/kg)
- CVS: bradycardia, hypotension
GI: excessive salivation
- Respiratory: respiratory muscle paralysis, risk of pulmonary aspiration because of lack of airway protection
Parameters to Monitor:
- BP, HR
- Ventilation, oxygen saturation
Reconstitution and Stability:
- Unopened vials are stable for 6 months at room temperature without significant loss of potency
- Solutions Compatible: dextrose up to D10W, saline solutions, dextrose-saline solutions
Incompatible: alkaline solution, sodium bicarbonate
- Muscle relaxation effects last about 2 - 4 minutes
- Effects are not reversible with neostigmine or endrophonium
Taketomo CK, Hodding JH, Kraus DM. Pediatric Dosage Handbook 9th-11th Editions. Hudson: Lexi-Comp Inc.; 2002-2004.
The information contained on this website is provided for informational purposes only, as a guide to assist physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers in deciding on the appropriate care required for a particular patient. At all times, physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers must exercise their independent clinical judgment, based on their knowledge, training and experience, taking into account the specific facts and circumstances of each patient, when deciding on the appropriate course of investigation and/or treatment to recommend in a particular clinical situation.
CHEO has made every effort to ensure that the information contained on this website is as current and accurate as possible. However, changes can occur due to ongoing research and the constant influx of new information. Where possible, hospitals and healthcare practitioners should verify the information before acting on it.
Reliance on any information in this website is at the user's own risk. CHEO is not responsible or liable for any harm, loss or other consequences from the use or misuse of the information on this website.