||Neonatal Drug Therapy Manual
Disclaimer: Official controlled document is the CHEO and Ottawa Hospital online copy. It is the responsibility of user to ensure that any paper copy version is the same as the online version before use.
- Treatment of congenital cytomegalovirus (CMV) disease
- CVS: edema, hyper/hypotension
- Endocrine & Metabolic: dehydration, hyperglycemia, hypo/hyperkalemia, hypomagnesemia, hypophosphatemia
- GI: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- Hematologic: anemia, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia
- Hepatic: ascitis
- Renal: elevated urea and serum creatinine
Parameters to Monitor:
- CBC with differential, platelet count
- serum creatinine
Reconstitution and Stability:
- Prepared by pharmacy. Store oral solution in refrigerator
- Cytotoxic drug: consult corporate policy ADM V 250 (Cytotoxic and hazardous drug waste and spills) and Nursing Policy: Cytotoxic agents and hazardous drugs: safe handling, administration and disposal
- Kimberlin DW, Jester PM, Sanchez PJ, Ahmed A, Arav-Boger R, Michaels MG et al. Valganciclovir for Symptomatic Congenital Cytomegalovirus Disease. N Engl J Med 2015; 372: 933-943
The information contained on this website is provided for informational purposes only, as a guide to assist physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers in deciding on the appropriate care required for a particular patient. At all times, physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers must exercise their independent clinical judgment, based on their knowledge, training and experience, taking into account the specific facts and circumstances of each patient, when deciding on the appropriate course of investigation and/or treatment to recommend in a particular clinical situation.
CHEO has made every effort to ensure that the information contained on this website is as current and accurate as possible. However, changes can occur due to ongoing research and the constant influx of new information. Where possible, hospitals and healthcare practitioners should verify the information before acting on it.
Reliance on any information in this website is at the user's own risk. CHEO is not responsible or liable for any harm, loss or other consequences from the use or misuse of the information on this website.