||Neonatal Drug Therapy Manual
Disclaimer: Official controlled document is the CHEO and Ottawa Hospital online copy. It is the responsibility of user to ensure that any paper copy version is the same as the online version before use.
- Severe infections due to susceptible organisms which are resistant to standard therapy
- IV direct: over 3 - 5 minutes
- IV intermittent infusion: over 30 - 60 minutes
- < 1.2 kg: 0 - 4 weeks: 25 mg/kg/day once daily
- 1.2 - 2 kg: 25 mg/kg/day once daily
- > 2 kg:
- 0 - 7 days: 25 mg/kg/day once daily
- > 7 days: 50 mg/kg/day divided Q12h
- Hematologic: reversible bone marrow suppression (dose related), irreversible aplastic anemia (idiosyncratic)
- Miscellaneaous: gray baby syndrome (associated with high drug levels), abdominal distension, cyanosis, vasomotor collapse, death
Parameters to Monitor:
- Therapeutic drug levels:
- Peak (60 minutes after end of iv infusion): 15 - 25 mg/L
- CBC, unusual bruising/bleeding
- Periodic liver and renal function tests
Reconstitution and Stability:
- Solutions Compatible: dextrose, 0.9 % NaCl, dextrose-saline combinations
- Y-site Compatible: calcium chloride, dopamine, heparin, KCl
The information contained on this website is provided for informational purposes only, as a guide to assist physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers in deciding on the appropriate care required for a particular patient. At all times, physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers must exercise their independent clinical judgment, based on their knowledge, training and experience, taking into account the specific facts and circumstances of each patient, when deciding on the appropriate course of investigation and/or treatment to recommend in a particular clinical situation.
CHEO has made every effort to ensure that the information contained on this website is as current and accurate as possible. However, changes can occur due to ongoing research and the constant influx of new information. Where possible, hospitals and healthcare practitioners should verify the information before acting on it.
Reliance on any information in this website is at the user's own risk. CHEO is not responsible or liable for any harm, loss or other consequences from the use or misuse of the information on this website.