||Neonatal Drug Therapy Manual
Disclaimer: Official controlled document is the CHEO and Ottawa Hospital online copy. It is the responsibility of user to ensure that any paper copy version is the same as the online version before use.
Hydrochlorothiazide and Spironolactone
Thiazide and Potassium Sparing diuretic
- Edema, hypertension
- May improve lung function in BPD patients.
- 2 - 4 mg/kg/day divided in 2 doses
- Endocrine and metabolic: electrolyte abnormalities, hyperglycemia
- Renal: hyperuricemia
Parameters to Monitor:
- Serum electrolytes
- Blood glucose
- Signs of edema
- Urine output
Important: interaction with ACTH stim test
- the spironolactone component of Aldactazide might falsely elevate plasma cortisol levels, which can impair the accuracy of diagnosis when interpreting the test results. The AM dose should be held until after the test is complete
- Young TE, Mangum B. Neofax(R). 13th-16th Editions. Raleigh: Acorn Publishing; 2000-2003.
- Lexi-Comp Online Database, accessed Feb 2023
The information contained on this website is provided for informational purposes only, as a guide to assist physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers in deciding on the appropriate care required for a particular patient. At all times, physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers must exercise their independent clinical judgment, based on their knowledge, training and experience, taking into account the specific facts and circumstances of each patient, when deciding on the appropriate course of investigation and/or treatment to recommend in a particular clinical situation.
CHEO has made every effort to ensure that the information contained on this website is as current and accurate as possible. However, changes can occur due to ongoing research and the constant influx of new information. Where possible, hospitals and healthcare practitioners should verify the information before acting on it.
Reliance on any information in this website is at the user's own risk. CHEO is not responsible or liable for any harm, loss or other consequences from the use or misuse of the information on this website.