||Neonatal Drug Therapy Manual
Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine
Disclaimer: Official controlled document is the CHEO and Ottawa Hospital online copy. It is the responsibility of user to ensure that any paper copy version is the same as the online version before use.
- Routine childhood immunization
- Can be co-administered with the following vaccines (at separate injection sites): Hepatitis B, Pediacel
- 0.5 mL IM at 2, 4, and 12 months of age for a total of 3 doses
- Local: transient redness at the injection site
- Systemic: fever (more frequently reported when co-administered with other vaccines), drowsiness, irritability
Parameters to Monitor:
- Injection site
Reconstitution and Stability:
- Refrigerate until ready to use
- Prevnar 13 is a pneumococcal conjugated vaccine that contains antigen from 13 pneumococcal serotypes: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6A, 6B, 7F, 9V, 14, 18C, 19A, 19F and 23F
- Publicly Funded Immunization Schedule for Ontario. Ontario MOH Immunization Schedules December 2016
- Chen J, Lau E (editors). Drug Handbook and Formulary. The Hospital for Sick Children.Toronto: Department of Pharmacy; 2017-2018
The information contained on this website is provided for informational purposes only, as a guide to assist physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers in deciding on the appropriate care required for a particular patient. At all times, physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers must exercise their independent clinical judgment, based on their knowledge, training and experience, taking into account the specific facts and circumstances of each patient, when deciding on the appropriate course of investigation and/or treatment to recommend in a particular clinical situation.
CHEO has made every effort to ensure that the information contained on this website is as current and accurate as possible. However, changes can occur due to ongoing research and the constant influx of new information. Where possible, hospitals and healthcare practitioners should verify the information before acting on it.
Reliance on any information in this website is at the user's own risk. CHEO is not responsible or liable for any harm, loss or other consequences from the use or misuse of the information on this website.